December 7th our sweet Madelyn arrived!!

My doctor was on call all weekend long and I told him I was going to have him deliver her and that I would make sure I went into labor either while he was there during normal business hours or he when he was on call. So on Sunday, Dec. 6 I wasn't feeling good (lack of sleep, contractions coming and going and running around after Michael). Matt and I went ahead and took Michael over to his Pop's house (Matt's daddy) and he was going to spend the night with them just in case we had to go in the middle of the night. By 10:30pm I was getting contractions that were pretty steady 10minutes apart so I decided to put on my makeup and straighten my hair 'cause I was going to look great going into the hospital. I finally laid down and then the back labor started kicking in. Poor Matt... all the man wanted to do is get a few hours of sleep but every time I got a contraction he was having to rub my back. I finally told him to call Dr. Marichal and my contractions were between 5 and 7 minutes apart. Matt called and Dr. Marichal said to come on up so we got up there by 2am.

Let me rewind a minute. I had a c-section when I was pregnant with Michael so this time around I wanted to do a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section). Dr. Marichal thought I would be a good candidate and said that he would try to make sure it happened and that he would document it in my records in case I got some other doctor. Once we got up there Dr. Marichal came in and went through his routine and said he would admit me and ended up coming over to my room and hanging out while the nurses got me hooked up and Matt went to get our stuff out of the car.
Below: Dr. Marichal with Madelyn

Dr. M was ending his shift at 8am, but said he would stay a little while longer to deliver Madelyn, but that she would need to come on soon after 8am. Pressure was on but lucky for me he kept sticking around after 9, 10, 11 started rolling by and nothing was happening. Finally around noon sometime he came in and said he would give Madelyn a talking to and by 12:46pm Madelyn arrived!!
Nonna (Matt's Mama) loving on Madelyn

Grandmama and Grandaddy are so proud of their newest grandchild!!
Madelyn weighed 7lbs 11oz, 20 inches long, and a full head of hair to boot. On that last push I gave it all I had and as soon as I heard her first little cries I just started bawling. It was the most incredible feeling in the world to push her out. I felt a little robbed with having Michael. He was an emergency c-section because the monitors were having trouble picking up his heartbeat so everything just happened all too fast. When they got Michael out he had the cord all wrapped around him and his heartbeat just fine within a day. So after having that experience and then having Madelyn it was very emotional. I can't tell you how bless I am that my doctor stayed with me even though he was exhausted and brought her into the world. Dr. M also delivered Michael so it's neat to me that he was there for both of my babies.
Uncle Luke and Uncle Davy with their sweet little niece

After reading my post to myself I guess I've talked more about my doctor, but truth be told I'm so blessed to have a wonderful doctor that took the time to bring our little girl into the world. He deserves the recognition!



Madelyn is beautiful, Grace. Congratulations! I love that everyone is wearing pink at the hospital! I have to agree with you, Dr. Marichal is the greatest thing since sliced bread. He delivered Allie. We just love him. I know you must have been feeling like one very blessed momma on Christmas morning. What does Michael think of his little sister? I bet he's a big helper.
ReplyDeleteMichael tries to help with Madelyn. If he hears her cry he grabs her pacifier and tries putting it in her mouth. It's precious when he walks over to her and kisses the back of her head and says "Muah" for a kiss. 8-)
ReplyDeleteSo sweet! Daughters are such a precious gift. I can't wait to meet her! :)
ReplyDeleteThat definately was an amazing day! She is so precious!!!
ReplyDelete